Black cake is the term used to refer to a dense cake made from lots of aged rum-
soaked dried fruit.
- 1/4 lb cherries
- 1 lb local dried fruits (or raisins)
- 1 cup rum
- 1 1/2lbs. brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 lb flour
- 6 eggs
- 4 oz orange or lemon peel
- 1/2lb butter
- Grind dried fruits and soak it in 3 cups of rum. Store in an air tight container for three weeks.
- Prepare the caramel by heating 1 lb of the the sugar until it turns dark brown.
- Cream the butter and sugar. Add the eggs, soaked fruits, and rum. When it is well blended, pour the caramel.
- Add the flour with the baking powder and mixed spice.
- Fold in the cherries.
- Pour mixture in a baking pan and bake in a slow oven (about 300 degrees F.) for two hours. Remove cake from pan after cooking and Soak with Rum.