1 cup parboiled rice
1 lb black eye peas
1 lb chicken or beef
1 onion (chipped)
2 cloves garlic (chipped)
2 tbsp soya sauce
1 coconut or coconut milk
1½ cups of water
1 tbsp cooking oil
Salt and hot pepper to taste
1 chicken bullion cube
Sprinkle of black-pepper
- Soak black eye peas overnight.
- Grate coconut; add water to grated coconut.
- Squeeze grated coconut in the water. Strain the mixture, and pour the white liquid (coconut milk) in cooking pot.
- Cut up the chicken and season it with salt, black-pepper and soy sauce.
- Fry chicken for about 5 minutes in oil.
- Wash rice and add to the pot with coconut milk.
- Add soaked black eye peas.
- Add fried chicken.
- Add bullion cube, thyme, onion, garlic and whole okras.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover pot and cook with medium heat for about 40 minutes until rice is soft and liquid is absorbed.
- Garnish with chipped shallot blades.
Note: Cook-up rice can also include a variety of other ingredients. These include green leaf vegetables (callaloo), cabbage, salt-beef, beef or any other meat, fish and shrimp. It must be noted, too, that cook-up can be prepared cooked in a pressure cooker for 10 minutes.