A Spicy Soup Like Side dish of Indian Origin usually eaten with Rice and curry Dish. Recipe adapted from : www.metemgee.com
- 1 cup yellow split peas
- 6 cups water
- 1 tbsp. curry powder
- 1 tbsp chopped onions (1/2 small onion)
- 1 tbsp cumin powder (you can also substitute with 1/2 tbsp geera and 1/2 tbsp garam masala)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp granulated garlic (can substitute with 4 cloves garlic finely chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (finely chopped
- 3 tbsp oil
- In a pressure cooker, add water, split peas, curry powder, onions, cumin powder, salt and hranulated. Mix together and pressure cook on high heat for 20 minutes or when split peas is completely soft and no longer grainy. Alternatively, if you don’t have a pressure cooker you can put all the ingredients in a large stock pot and cook until the split peas is soft. It will take about 40 minutes.
- Chunkay the dhal: Warm 3 tbsp. oil in a frying pan on medium heat. When the oil is hot, add 3 cloves finely chopped garlic and cook until the garlic is almost burnt. Add, cooked garlic along with the oil used for frying to cooked split peas. Using a hand blender, blend until garlic is completely mixed into the split peas. If you don’t have a hand blender you can blend with a whisk then, let the dhal sit for at least 30 mins and then strain with a sieve to remove the bits of burnt garlic.
- There are different ways of making dhal. I find this version to be quickest and tastiest
Adapted from metemgee.com