“Fat Top” or Corn Pone is one of Guyana’s many desserts rich in coconut. This is a delicious treat that is super easy to make, and a great vegan and gluten free option. A creamy layer of coconut milk on top of a thick layer of cornmeal cake – can it get any better?
2 cups corn meal
4 cups coconut milk
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
2 1/2 tbs grated coconut
1 tsp ground cardamom
1 tsp ground ginger powder
– Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
– In a medium bowl mix together the cornmeal, 1 cup sugar, 2 cups coconut milk, grated coconut, cardamom and ginger.
– Pour the mix into a medium sized greased baking dish and bake for about 20 to 30 minutes or until the mix has set.
– Mix the remaining 2 cups of coconut milk and 1/2 cup sugar.
– Pour this mix over the baked cornmeal mix.
– Bake for an additional 30 to 40 minutes or until most of the liquid on the top is reduced and the cake looks moist.
– Let cool and serve.